Historic Vestiges Hanoi Opera House

The construction of the Ha Noi Opera House was started in 1901 and completed in 1911. It was modeled on the style of Paris Opera. It is the first opera house in Ha Noi that was built on a large scale and bears the architectural styles of modern European opera houses.

The house is 87m long and 30m wide. The audience's room is about 566m2 and holds more than 900 seats. The ceiling is 30m high and in typically Greek style. The second floor houses many small compartments. The first two staircases, which are very convenient for going upstairs and downstairs. Behind the stage are working rooms, make-up rooms, the rehearsal room and the meeting hall.

It is a major performing art center in Ha Noi. In front of it is the August Revolution Square which is situated at the axis of Trang Tien and Hang Khay Streets. On August 17, 1945 Hanoians witnessed the national yellow-starred red flag flying on the balcony of the second floor of the Opera House. On August 19, 1945 Hanoians held a meeting in response to the call of the Viet Minh Troupe for a revolt which was later turned into an armed demonstration to seize power in Ha Noi.

With the support of the French Government in 1997, the House was refurbished to its original conditions. After nearly a century, it appears as beautiful and magnificent as it did in its early days. It can cater to stage many art forms on demand from domestic and overseas art companies.

Newer articles