Van Mieu Quoc Tu Giam

Van Mieu – Quoc Tu Giam is a famous historical and cultural relic consisting of the Temple od Literature and Viet Nam's first university.

The Temple of Literature was built in 1070 in honour of Confucius, his followers, and Chu Van An, a moral figure in Vietnamese education.

Quoc Tu Giam, or Viet Nam's first university, was built in 1076. It was the first educational school for royal family members, and it was later opened to talented students. Throughout its more than 700years of activity, thousands of Vietnamese scholars graduated from this university. In 1482, Emperor Le Thanh Tong ordered the erection of stealer with achievements of the graduates who had taken examinations since 1442 to 1779. Presently, 82 stealer stand at Van Mieu.

In 1483 Quoc Tu Giam was changed into Thai Hoc Vien (Higher Educational Institute). After decades of war and natural disasters, the former construction was completely destroyed. In preparation for the celebration of the 1000th anniversary of Thang Long (present day Ha Noi) another construction has been built following the model of the previous Thai Hoc Vien on the same ground. The work started on July 13, 1999, including the front hall, the back sanctuary, lean-tos on the left and on the right, the countryard, and subsidiary structures. Phase 1 was completed on October 10, 2002, the day of celebration of the liberation of Ha Noi. As a resuilt of an area of 1,530 m2 has been put into use.

This site preserves historical vestiges of a 1,000-year-old civilization such as statues of Confucius and his disciples (Yan Hui, Zengshen, Zisi, Mencius), and ancient constructions such as Khue Van Pavilion, and Worshipping Hall.

Van Mieu – Quoc Tu Giam is located on Van Mieu Street, 2km west of Hoan Kiem Lake. It is open Tuesday to Sunday from 8am to 11.30am and 1.30pm to 5pm.

Newer articles